Monday, August 11, 2008

So, What's Your Story?

It was much needed... It was well deserved... It was so much fun... And now...


I AM EXHAUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!


When did having so much FUN become so tiring? Oh yeah... when I went and got OLD. Ok, ok... I'm not "old," but I feel like it! Here's what kicked my hiney...

I went to Dallas (Plano, to be exact) to meet up with my very best and dearest friend Amy. She lives in Oklahoma (don't worry - I'm constantly trying to get her back to Texas!), and the only half-way point that made sense was Dallas. We went ahead and made it Plano because Bill was going there for a golf tourney and to stay with his sister for the weekend. He dropped me off at our very swanky, funky, and uber cool destination - the NYLO hotel. It's ultra modern and contemporary. Totally NOT kid friendly. Get my drift? NO KIDS ALLOWED. Friday night was pretty easy going - it basically included us visiting, laughing until our eyes were tear-filled, and just enjoying our time together. I don't think we've had alone time to just visit since before we had children! *GASP!* And she's got a 7 1/2 year old! So, um, it's been a while!

Our grand plans to sleep in since we had no children for the weekend were completely and totally foiled as we both woke around 7. Try as we might... sleeping in just wasn't going to happen! Stinkin' internal mommy clock... grrrrrr...

So, we lazily got ready - without changing a diaper, preparing breakfast, separating bickering children - and we went and had the breakfast of champions: Krispy Kreme and Starbucks! Yeah, BABY!!!! After "fueling up" we headed for some shopping at the outlet mall. We found Amy a super cute dress to wear to her husband's 20 year class reunion... the rest of our shopping? Yep.
You guessed it... for the kids. *rolling eyes*
We feasted on lettuce wraps at Pei Wei then continued our shopping at Kohl's. If you know me, you know I. Heart. Kohl's. It's a rule that I must go to one when we are out of town since we don't have one at home. We enjoyed our shopping time, and when we went out to the car we made an important decision: Time to remove the T tops and cruise. You have to understand... this dates back to a certain perfect day about 12 years ago when we were driving around in her not-yet-husband's '78 Trans Am with the T tops off, the music loud, and the sun on our faces. We basically relived that day. And, to top it off, "My Sharona" was on the radio. It couldn't have been more perfect for us - and the dorks that we are!


After our cruising session, we had dinner at Macaroni Grill where our waiter sang to us an Italian prayer and gave us tiramisu on the house - complete with flowers for both of us. We had him tell us about himself, and it was just so interesting! We decided right then and there that the rest of the evening was going to include getting people to "tell us their story." So - we now had a mission. After some dorky pics and getting back to the room for some grooming, we went to The Loft down in the lobby. Kind of an oxymoron, no? Anyway - it's a funky place that includes an outside area with lounge chairs, a pool with a wall of fire behind it, and a hill with "mattresses" for lounging on. We got a foo-foo drink - a Cosmopolitan to be exact - and staked our claim. We laid under the stars (the 4 you can see in the middle of Plano), sipped our drink, and talked. It was the best time. Then the DJ came over to talk to us. We asked him his story - very interesting. Then the 2 officers working the place came by - we asked them their stories - even more interesting! One of them shared the name Carey with me! After doing this throughout the night, Amy and I realized - if you just shut up and let people talk, their stories can be amazing! Where people come from, what their families are like, what they do for a living, what they WANT to do for a living... all very, very interesting stuff.


Amy and I ended up staying up until after 3 in the morning just talking about life in general. Sometimes reminiscing; sometimes talking about the present; sometimes talking about what we want in the future. And, sometimes, just enjoying one another's company in the silence. Doesn't matter what we say, where we are, what we're doing... Amy and I are forever a part of one another's lives, and sometimes we just have to take the time to enjoy a little part of our lives together - at the same time - so that our stories are a little more fun and include one another. Again, we woke early - that's just what mommies do. But this time I was sad... because I knew it was the morning I had to hug my friend good bye - and not know the next time I would get to hug her hello. But it's ok because she's always in my heart - no matter where I am or what I'm doing. She's my Amy.



Now then... I've bored you with mine... So, what's your story?

No comments: